Music, more or less

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Washington Square Park--Saturday March 3

Another beautiful warm day. Sun shining into my apartment was so strong I had to open the windows to cool the place off. But by the time I made it to the park around 3:30, the sun was behind the clouds and the wind was picking up.

Anyway, I was able to do a few songs with Pete, Dan, and another fellow who sings harmony. A guy named Phil who plays slide guitar was also there, as well as John, who did the drawing at the top of this blog.

Pete had been there for an hour by the time I arrived, and said he was freezing his butt off. My fingers felt cold and stiff nearly from the get-go. But we did a few songs anyway:
*Early Morning Rain -- Pete has his version of this, I have mine. Problem is, I can't quite follow his version yet, so we did mine.
*Margaritaville--Dan does a nice recorder solo. It's an easy song, but I made a hash of it.
*Rambling Boy--Our regular song--nice harmonies all around
*King of the Road--One of Pete's standards
*Honky Tonk Heroes--Pete led it. I'm going to work on my version too.
*You Ain't Goin Nowhere--Our "new" old Bob Dylan song--sounded pretty good to me.
*Buckets of Rain--A Bob Dylan song I've been doing for a while. This time I did it in E, more like a blues.
*Waltzing Matilda--Well, not the whole thing, but Pete showed me how it goes.
*Goodbye Muirsheen Dirken--I tried to to this song that I learned from a Dubliners CD

All in all, I think it was a nice start to the season. Now I am thinking about the Brooklyn open folk sing on Wednesday. Maybe I will do "The Croppy Boy"? Stay tuned.

No comments: