Music, more or less

Thursday, March 29, 2007

3/25/07 Wash Sq Pk and Paddy Reilly's in 1 day!!! Part 2

This is a continuation of the previous post. If you want to start from the begining, click here.

So we went in Pete's car and arrived at Paddy Reilly's where the music was playing. Australian Pete bought us 3 guinesses. I stood at the bar drinking my beer, and chatted for a while with AJ (a singer / guitarist who I met in the park last last fall). He says that a group of old time / bluegrass folks will resume meeting up in the park on Friday afternoons as soon as the weather gets a little warmer, and took my email address. Australian Pete wandered over to the "stage" area, and started playing. Yonkers Pete was parking the car.

Soon I went over to the stage too, and started picking along to the bluegrass music. There were about 12 people playing guitar, fiddle, mandolin and banjo. Mostly familiar faces including Scott, Tony, Tom. There was one older African-American guy. He was playing a banjo most of the time, but at one point he picked up a guitar and led an excellent sweet-sounding version of "Snowbird".

Since we arrived late, there wasn't time for many songs. The regular professional band came in and started setting up, most of the players went home, a few went to the back room. It was no surprise that Pete stayed on the stage for one more (Willie Nelson's "I'm Gonna Get Drunk"). Aussie Pete and I played along. In the middle of the tune, Tony told us that we better move to the back room after the song was over. Pete didn't like it, but we complied.

Aussie Pete struck up a conversation with the Black banjo player, whose name is Norris. It turns out Norris is a member of an all-Black old time string band called The Ebony Hillbillies. The week before, the New York Pinewoods Folk Society had sponsored a concert by this band with tickets at $20 a pop. I haven't heard them play, but I heard they're very good.

Meanwhile, Scott, Aussie Pete, and a great fiddle player named Rick were playing some bluegrass tunes that sounded terrific. All 3 are great players, and this fiddle player always impressed me. I couldn't resist pulling out my guitar, but it's hard to keep up with these guys. I was happy to be in the same room with a guitar in my hand (and a guiness on the counter). Later Pete started trading tunes with Scott. Pete suggested "Girl From Ipanema" which Scott offered up in the key of Eflat. Pete was able to keep up without the aid of a capo, which is pretty impressive.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Sounds like a good day. The Ebony Hillbilles regularly set up in the Times Square subway station between the N/R/Q/W and the 1/2/3 (near the breakdancers). I've enjoyed listening to them many times.

AZ said...

Cool. I will look for them.