Music, more or less

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sea Chanty Sing Mar 10, 2007

Last night I went to a sea chanty singing event at the Seaman's Church over by South Street South seaport. I didn't bring my guitar, but my wife came along. We both had a great time singing along to the old songs. There was a nice turn-out, maybe 20 people, about half of them with guitars. I would say about half of the people were folks I recognized from the Brooklyn folk sing, including Brian and his wife, Frank, Al(?) and his wife Barb (who sings beautiful harmony), Alison (one of the leaders of New York Pinewoods Folk Music club, with an excellent strong voice), Ben who did a nice one on the squeeze box.

A guy sang a pretty humorous song about being lost on the Long Island Rail Road, done to the tune of "Gotta Leave the Little Girl in Kingston Town" ("When I reached Jamaica I forgot to change.").

There was a nice trading of songs, about half sung a capella, half accompanied. Some beautiful voices, nice guitar playing, good feeling. The next one is April 14, 8pm.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Nice park weather laely, hm? Are you guys doing anything for Paddy's day?

AZ said...

Hey Shannon. No plans for Saint Patrick's day. I guess I'll put on something green and try to stay out of trouble