Music, more or less

Monday, March 05, 2007

Live Music at the Reservoir 3/4/07

Monday 3/5 was moving day. My wife and I finished most of the packing on Sunday, so I decided we should celebrate by getting drunk at the local watering hole. Unfortunately, our usual place The Cedar Tavern was closed (temporarily? permanently?) for renovations. So we went down the street to a place called The Reservoir. Years ago this spot was occupied by a club called "Bradley's". Now it's more of an every-day bar where you might go to watch sports.

Anyway, I was surprised to see a couple of musicians setting up at the front end of the bar, near where I was sitting. The main guy's guitar was a Martin which looked very familiar. I asked him, and he said it was a D-28 (same as mine) and that he loved it. A very friendly young man named Tracey. He did a set of all original music, together with a trumpet player. He did a couple of reggae songs, and some jazzy, bluesy songs. The trumpet player was great, very polished and professional. Good original songs. The Martin sounded great (eerily familiar sound) though I'm not sure how well it lends itself to either reggae or jazz.

Aftwards I spoke to Tracey, he told me he is originally a drummer and is just starting out as a guitarist and singer. (He does have a wonderful sense of timing, by the way). Then he introduced the next act. I was pretty drunk by then, but I think his name was Evan Phelps--a 21-year-old kid from Austin Texas. Obviously talented, a beautiful voice, nice guitar playing, pretty songs. He told me that he was having trouble making it in Austin, which is apparently full of talented musicians.

Anyway, it was a nice night out, though I must say I was not feeling 100% on moving day. Suffice it to say that when the bartender offers you a free one, and you make the executive decision to switch to the hard stuff, remember that every action has consequences.

No comments: