Music, more or less

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Brooklyn Open Folk Sing 3/7

Well, I went to the open folk sing in Brooklyn on Wednesday night and had a nice time. It was a bitter cold night, but the 10-minute chilly walk from Grand Army Plaza adds to the charm of arriving at a warm room with people singing. I must say that the main room of the Ethical Culture Society has beautiful accoustics, and even my simple songs sound good there.

There was a small turn-out, which means that I got to do a few songs:
*Frankie and Johnny
*Ballad of Casey Jones
*Fiddlers Green

Some other songs that others done were:
*40 Shades of Green (sounds like a traditional Irish song, but actually written by Johnny Cash)
*Weila Weila (the moral of the song, as revealed in the last verse is "Don't stick knives in babys' heads")
*Gypsy Rover (my mother used to sing this to me when I was a baby)
*Brennan on the Moor
*Haul Away Joe

Brian did Tom Russell's "Blue Wing".

In keeping with approaching St. Patrick's Day, there were a lot of Irish songs.

I'm looking forward to next month's gathering, on April 4.

No comments: