Music, more or less

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Washington Square 1/13

It was in the low fifties, not quite raining. It had been raining lightly all day, and everything wet. I went out around 3:30. I took the Ovation.

Playing under the arch a good dry place surrounded by an audience of about 40 were Joe (guitar, singing), Skip (lead and backup singing), Dan (backup singing and recorder). They did
*Get a Message to You, BeeGees
*Shadow Dancing,BeeGees
*Bad Moon Rising, CCR
*Drift Away (nice singing by Skip)
*Soul Man, Sam & Dave
*In the Midnight Hour

They did a bunch of other songs, almost all of which I recognized. They perform well, and draw a big crowd--very good singing and harmonies, and all well-accompanied by Joe on guitar.

I tried to strum along on my Ovation, but stayed in background for most of them, they were a little hard for me to follow.

I did my version of "St. Louis Blues". Something with more opportunities for the others to sing along might have gotten me more invitations to sing, but this song was running through my head at the time. I think the crowd liked it, especially one woman in the front who was dancing.

Then I got to do a couple more songs when Joe broke a string. I did Me and Bobby McGee, Dan stepped up and accompanied on recorder--I asked him to close out the song. Then I did Hank Williams' Your Cheating Heart and Dan did harmony and took a solo on the recorder. There was a real feeling of give and take in the performance--totally enjoyable. And it definitely kept the audience. Didn't get them too excited, but I'd say it drew them in closer, actually.

Nice crowd, there seemed to be a fair amount of foreign tourists, people taking photos, some older folks, some kids. A couple of people from the audience came up and sang some harmony while Joe, Skip and Dan were doing their "first set".

No comments: