Music, more or less

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bluegrass Jam 1/21/06

I am just getting back from the bluegrass jam which takes place every Sunday evening at 5pm-8pm at Paddy Reilly's bar on 2nd Ave and 29th St.

This is the 2nd time I've gone to this jam. The first time I just strummed along and didn't do any songs. I also didn't take any solos because I don't know how to. This time, I led (sang) three songs:
My Bucket's Got a Hole in it (Hank Williams)
Worried Man Blues
Lost Highway (Hank Williams)
I also did Cabin in Caroline with a couple of guys before the jam started.

There were some excellent musicians at this jam: a couple of great guitarists, fiddlers, mandolin players. There was also a guy playing stand-up bass. This time there were no banjo players or harmonica players (last time there were a couple of good banjo players, a harmonica player, a guy playing slide guitar and an accordian player).

I heard a bunch of songs that I didn't know. I am able to follow along with most of them. I wish I knew how to do solos, though.

Some of the songs that I didn't know were:
Red Wing
Banks of the Ohio
Your Love is Like a Flower
Deep Water
Memories of Mother and Dad
Another Day (Del McCray)
Take Your Shoes Off Moses
Whisky for Breakfast

A couple of the songs I like the best were done by a singer-guitarist named Tom.

A few of the songs I did know were:
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams)
Will the Circle Be Unbroken
I Saw the Light (Hank Williams)

I have seen Scott at this jam a couple of times, but he was not there last night.

No comments: