Music, more or less

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Brooklyn Open Folk Sing 1/3/07

On the first Wednesday evening of every month the Folk Music Society of New York (AKA New York Pinewoods Folk Music Club) sponsors an open folk sing at the Ethical Culture Society near Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

I went for the first time on January 3. I brought the Martin. There were about 25 people sitting in a big circle, maybe six or seven people with instruments (guitars mostly), most without. Songs included Sea Chanties, Mining Songs, Hank Williams songs, Carter Family songs, original takes on old classics like "Blue". One guy named Brian plays 12-string guitar and does excellent country/folk songs that I do not recognize. I am not sure if this is his original work.

There was a good range of ages, from old-timers to college students. No kids this time, though the website says they are welcome.

Most of the songs are oriented towards singing (about half were done with no accompaniment), and when everyone sings along in this big open room with good accoustics, it really sounds terrific.

A guy named Ben asked me a couple of times if I wanted to play something. I was a bit nervous, but did "Dark as a Dungeon" (a mining song by Merle Travis) and "Worried Man Blues" (a traditional church-type blues). As these are very well-known songs, nearly everyone was able to sing along on the chorus, and it sounded good to me.

Highlights for me were:
1) I really appreciated Ben encouraging me to do a couple of songs, then welcoming me into the group afterwords.
2) When I did Worried Man Blues, a guy in a sweater with gray hair in a pony-tail picked up a squeeze box I didn't even know he had, and accompanied me. It sounded great!
3) After the show, Brian (the 12-string guy) told me I had to come back because the group needed more "country music people". I am happy to be classified as a "country music person", and to be welcomed back.
4) I really enjoyed singing along to the sea chanties. One red-faced Irish-looking fellow was very good at leading these.

I plan to attend the next one, which will be held on February 7, 2007.

No comments: