Music, more or less

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Brooklyn Open Folk Sing 6/6/07

Went to the Brooklyn open folk sing last Wednesday evening. I sang a bunch of songs:
  • My Bucket's Got a Hole in it
  • The Crawdad Hole
  • Don't Think Twice
  • You Ain't Going Nowhere
  • Worried Man Blues

The group was smaller than usual. Brian and Monica were there. Brian did a nice job on Sonora's Death Row (written by Blackie Farrell, covered by many), and a WWII song called "The D-Day Dodgers" (Wednesday being the anniversary of the D-Day invasion).

Al did a song that I heard the Dubliners do, "The Black Velvet Band".

Afterwards, I had a conversation with Ben and his wife. According to Ben, the folk sing has had difficulty attracting young "talent". Those interested in performing accoustic music seem to be drawn to bluegrass. Maybe this explains some of the people I meet in the park who can play guitar pretty well, but can't sing a note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judging by your song selection I think you might enjoy this new young singer on the rise in Brooklyn.

You really have to see him live to believe it. But take a listen yourself...

www.myspace.com/theheavylove