Music, more or less

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Brooklyn Open Folk Sing 2/7/07

I took the Martin to Brooklyn to the open folk sing at the ethical culture society. I had told Pete about this, and he showed up along with Jimmy and Dan (Washington Square folks).

I heard a lot of old songs that were new to me, including:
Goodnight and Joy be with You All
Elsie Manley(?)
Good Chowder
Cuckoo's Nest
Bells of Norwich
Whilst Cruising Round Yarmouth
Won't You Come Down to Yarmouth Town

A lot of old traditional songs. Al, a guy who does a lot of sea songs also did "Waltzing Matilda".

Pete did some of the songs I've heard him do in the park:
Greenback Dollar
Buck Owens' Act Naturally
Me and Bobby McGee

There's a young lady at this group who sings very well and knows a lot of songs. She did a couple of standards with Pete after most of the singers had left at the end of the gathering, and I thought they sounded great.

Jimmy did "Baby Let Me Carry You Down" (written by Eric Von Schmidt, who incidentally died last week), and Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Teach Your Children".

I did two songs, "Rambling Boy" and "Whisky in the Jar". I thought they came off pretty well. Everyone seemed to know Rambling Boy, but people seemed to appreciate Whisky in the Jar more.

Al, the sea chanty guy told me that the The Folk Music Society of New York (AKA Pinewoods), also has a monthly sea chanty sing-along. I would like to take a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i won the bet ...told jimmy you would post this right away


he is pc illiterate and said blog what the f is a blog ha

AZ said...

How much did you win? (My cut is 20%).

You're lucky I posted anything after the nasty comments you made. But I'm glad you're still reading it.