Music, more or less

Friday, December 04, 2009

St. Francis Gig

My friend from Washington Square Park was gracious enough to invite me to accompany him on a gig yesterday afternoon. This was in the basement of St. Francis church, on 31st St between 6th & 7th Ave. It was a nice room, with a few big tables. The performance was at 1pm, put on for a group of seniors (about 25), who were also served sandwiches and coffee (unfortunately I didn't have time for either, as I was working my butt off, then had to leave for an eye test).

People were very appreciative, both with their applause and thanks. This was mostly Pete's show, but it had much of the spontaneous charm of our performances / jam sessions in WSP. A third guy joined us, who is excellent on the keyboards, flutes, cigar box uke, and who also does magic tricks. Two of us dressed in black slacks and white shirts, the other dressed in black slacks, a black shirt and red tie. (I was thinking of wearing a tie too, but the last time I did that was when I got married, and my neck is still a little irritated.)

One high point was Pete's performance of Blowin in the Wind towards the beginning. His singing was strong, and because it is a simple song that we know well, we were able to back him strongly. I'm also happy with the medley that I sang (Pete's conception, my execution) of "When the Saints Go Marching In", "Will the Circle be Unbroken", and "I'll Fly Away". There was also a bunch of Christmas songs, which I enjoy, especially knowing that they'll only be around for a few weeks.

No comments: