Music, more or less

Saturday, November 28, 2009

More Adventures in Busking

Just got back from about 2-1/2 hours of busking in Central Park. My take? $26.50. I guess this activity earns me something like minimum wage (though no tax is withheld). But for me it's not really work--it's fun and good practice.

This time I took a spot that I have seen a friend of mine use in the past. Near the Delacourt Theatre, at the southwest corner of the great lawn. This is another spot with a lot of foot traffic, where three paths come together. There is a cobblestone area next to the path, which makes a great "stage".

My rough estimate is that 95% of the people passing by simply ignore me. The other 5% either nod, say something or give some money. Actually, it's much more unusual for someone to say something than for someone to give money. As I said in the previous post, some people show no sign that they are even listening to music, then discretely drop a dollar into the hat. If 5% of the people give an average of 50 cents each, then if 100 people pass each hour, I'll make $2.50. If 1000 people pass each hour, I'll make $25. So having a spot with lots of traffic is key.

As usual, kids love music, even toddlers in strollers. Some persuade their parents to stop. Sometimes a parent will try to get a kid interested in the music. Most of the kids are interested, once they stop paying attention to the squirrels, or whatever else is distracting them.

A couple of people sat on nearby benches and listened for a while. One older gentlemen, after listening for about 20 minutes, came over and said "You're GOOD." That felt nice. It made up for the two yuppies who walked by talking on cell phones while allowing their dogs to sniff at my money. (I chased one dog off by acting like I was going to kick him. Next time I may kick the owner instead)

I shattered another pick, this time in the second or third song. But I had plenty of replacements this time. I also shattered one in Washington Square Park last weekend. Most guitar players break strings, but I break picks instead. Today I played my Ovation guitar, just to get used to it. I will probably use it for a gig next week, because it plugs in. My main guitar, a Martin, sounds MUCH better. The Ovation was slipping out of tune a little bit, which the Martin does very rarely. It makes sense; if I sold the Martin, I would have enough money to buy ten Ovations.

If I busk every weekend for the next year, and save all the money, I should have enough for another Martin, or maybe a Taylor.

Songs I can remember playing:

Streets of Laredo
Weary Blues from Waiting
Peaceful Easy Feeling
My Buckets Got a Hole in it
When the Saints Go Marching In
Cheating Heart
I'll Fly Away
Heartaches by the Number
Hey Good Lookin'
Blue Ridge Mountain Blues
Like a Rolling Stone
On the Road Again
Don't Think Twice
King of the Road
She Ain't Goin' Nowhere
My Hometown
Murshin Durkin
The Bottle Let Me Down
Folsom Prison Blues
Working Man Blues

No comments: